Government prevented economy from collapsing despite Easter terror attacks – Ranil
The government didn’t allow the economy to suffer although the country had to face many obstacles, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said yesterday.
Even after the Easter Sunday attacks, the government prevented the economy from collapsing, despite the serious threat it posed, he noted.
The premier was addressing the opening ceremony of the newly developed Bogambara Cultural Park housed within the British era complex, which earlier served as the Bogambara prison.
The Prime Minister said there was a drop in tourist arrivals after the April 21 attacks. However, after the Kandy Esala Perahera tourism continues to improve.
So far this year, the number of tourist arrivals has reached 2 million and it is bound rise to the previous year’s figure of 2.3 million within the next five months, he noted.
The redevelopment of Bogambara prison complex cost at least Rs. 176 million.
Ministers Lakhsman Kiriella, Patali Champika Ranawaka, Malik Samarawickrema, State Minister Lucky Jayawardena and Kandy Mayor Kesara Senanayake were also present at the opening ceremony.
(Source: The Island – By Cyril Wimalasurendre)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
well stated the economy has improved
why did you allow it to happen in the first place. you as prime cannot claim that you were ignorant of what was happening for it could have been on the hit list. Sirisena should not have left the SL to invoke the gods to save him. obviously he was aware of what was going to happen…..no excuses
The economy has certainly improved; we are now a middle income country, thanks to economic vision of RW.
The Easter Sunday incident is a disaster; the coordination, information sharing and alertness was lost due to the lackadaisical attitude of the King who thinks he is a ruler by himself.
The King discarded his own Government and considered himself to be a power centre.
He is not a team player and his petty ambitions overruled all Government actions including security of the population.
The King should actually be impeached for dereliction of duties and charged in courts for negligence.