Government says it cannot be blamed for drop in people’s incomes
The government could not be blamed for the reduction in people’s incomes because the coronavirus pandemic had affected the entire world, Media and Higher Education Minister Bandula Gunawardane said yesterday.
Responding to questions at the weekly post-Cabinet news conference held at the Information Department, Gunawardane said that the pandemic had resulted in millions losing their jobs worldwide.
Gunawardena claimed that Sri Lankan workers were comparatively better off.
The government had requested the private sector to provide relief to their employees, the Minister noted.
Gunawardena said that with most airports locked down globally, businesses had suffered due to a drop in production and exports.
Some employees had not turned up for work, out of fear of contracting the Coronavirus disease, Gunawardane added.
(Source: The Island – By Zacki Jabbar)
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
Dear Dr D,
We are not blaming you. Not at all.
We are sure you did not cause the Corona Virus Pandemic.
But we are shocked that the Govt has not offered any support to the population.
We are shocked that the Govt does not have a plan or a strategy to cross to the other side of the pandemic.
2/3rd majority will not give people food to eat or the means for an honest living.