Government says it cannot be blamed for drop in people’s incomes
The government could not be blamed for the reduction in people’s incomes because the coronavirus pandemic had affected the entire world, Media and Higher Education Minister Bandula Gunawardane said yesterday.
Responding to questions at the weekly post-Cabinet news conference held at the Information Department, Gunawardane said that the pandemic had resulted in millions losing their jobs worldwide.
Gunawardena claimed that Sri Lankan workers were comparatively better off.
The government had requested the private sector to provide relief to their employees, the Minister noted.
Gunawardena said that with most airports locked down globally, businesses had suffered due to a drop in production and exports.
Some employees had not turned up for work, out of fear of contracting the Coronavirus disease, Gunawardane added.
(Source: The Island – By Zacki Jabbar)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023
- CEYPETCO and Lanka IOC increases fuel prices October 1, 2023