Government to construct Ruwanpura Expressway
The government is planning to construct Ruwanpura Expressway also known as the Ratnapura Expressway which will be Sri Lanka’s sixth E Class highway. The 71.8 km (44.6 mi) long highway will link the Kahathuduwa exit on the Southern Expressway with Pelmadulla, a major city in Sabaragamuwa Province, Sri Lanka, via Ratnapura, the provincial capital of Sabargamuwa Province (on the third kilometer of Pelmadulla – Embilipitiya – Nonagama Road).
It is proposed to construct interchanges at Horana, Ingiriya, Kiriella, Ratnapura (Kuruwita) and Thiruwanaketiya. Around 7.2 km length of this Expressway is expected to be constructed via-duct.
This Expressway will have four traffic lanes, each traffic lane having a width of 3.5 m. The center medium and hard shoulders also will be constructed. The operating speed on this Expressway will be 100 km per hour.
Construction of the highway is proposed to commence in 2014 and will be built in 3 stages. The expressway is proposed to be completed by 2019. It is anticipated that the new expressway will reduce commuting time between Colombo and Ratnapura to 45 mins and Colombo and Palmadulla to one hour. (ST/KH)
(Government News Portal)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
Long live you and your government. I wouldn’t care even if you have all your relatives working in the government as long as they are qualified and do a job well. As an SL expatriate,after seeing what is happening in the wider world, I can say you are doing the right thing. I do not expect you to be perfect, because no one is. When these highways are built for people to move there produce to where the demand is and telecommunication and what is necessary for tourism are developed, SL will have a successful economy. That will end most of the problems people are having in SL. Carry on MR!!