Governors requested to dissolve Southern, Western PCs
The Chief Minister of Southern Province, Shan Wijayalal de Silva says he has written to the Governor of the province, Kumari Balasooriya requesting to dissolve the Southern Provincial Council.
The Southern and Western provincial councils are expected to be dissolved tomorrow for fresh polls before April.
The provincial councils will be dissolved by their respective Governors following official requests by its Chief Ministers.
Meanwhile the Minister of Agriculture Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena had recently revealed that provincial elections will be held on March 29 after the PCs are dissolved.
UPDATE: The Chief Minister of the Western Province, Prasanna Ranatunga says he too has sent a written request to the Governor, Alavi Moulana to dissolve the Western Provincial Council.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023