Sri Lankan court extends remand of 40 fishermen to January 24
A court in Sri Lanka on Friday extended to January 24, the remand of 40 fishermen arrested by Naval personnel of the island nation on December 28 and 29 last year.
U. Arulanandam, president of Pamban Innocent Fishermen’s Organisation said the fishermen were produced in court at Oorkavalthurai, which extended their remand.
One group of 22 fishermen were arrested off Neduntheevu on December 28, while 18 others were held the following day off Katchathivu islet, he said.
(Courtesy: The Hindu)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023