Harin accuses Archbishop of engaging in politics
Former Minister Harin Fernando alleged that Archbishop of Colombo, Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith was directly involved in obtaining a decisive 5% of votes for Gotabaya Rajapaksa during last 2019 presidential election.
He made these comments adressing a Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) rally.
“During the presidential election 42% of the votes were slotted for Sajith while 52% of the votes were for Gotabaya. If 5% of Gotabaya’s camp voted for Sajith, the percentages would be equal at 47% for each,” the former Minister explained.
“Then who was responsible for changing this 5 per cent? The Easter Sunday attack issues were tangled with the Catholic vote,” he claimed.
Fernando also expressed his disappointment that the Archbishop is involved in politics. “I’m disgusted that the Archbishop is engaged in politics. I called the Archbishop one day. The Archbishop had said that the Minister son saved his life, and that his people lost their lives.
“He was completely engaged in politics. They were the ones operating this 5% game,” Fernando charged.
(Source: Daily Mirror)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023