Hirunika to enter active politics
Hirunika Premachandra, the daughter of late Presidential Advisor Baratha Lakshman Premachandra, said today that she would enter active politics soon.
“My father didn’t do politics for money, and the people loved him for all the service that he rendered to the people. I want to continue the same politics that my father did and will do this from Kolonnawa” she said.
Hirunika made these remarks while addressing a ceremony to lay the foundation stone for the erection of a statue of her father in Kolonnawa. “When giving nominations in future, political parties should consider the moral character of the people who are given nominations. There is also a drug menace in the area and I want to spearhead the battle against it,” she said.
Speaking at the event, speaker Chamal Rajapaksa said that there should be an end to the violent political culture prevailing in the country. “Baratha Lakshman was a diehard SLFPer who did yeoman service for the party and his death was unfortunate. There should be an end to this violent political culture,” he said.
Leader of the House Nimal Siripala De Silva, speaking at the event invited Hirunika Premachandra to embark on a political career. “I invite Hirunika to continue the good work of her father, who did a lot for the party and the people of this area. She should follow in the footsteps of her father” he said.
Ministers A.H.M Fowzie and D.E.W Gunasekara and MPs Karu Jayasuriya, Namal Rajapaks and Thilanga Sumathipala and a host of other dignitaries participated in the event.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023