Independence Day pardon for 1,270 prisoners
Posted in Local News
The Prisons Department yesterday released 1,270 prisoners under a special pardon in view of the 65th National Day.
Prisons Commissioner General P W Koddippili said most prisoners released were those languishing in jail for their inability for pay fines and other who had committed minor offences.
The Prisons Commissioner General had requested the heads of prisons islandwide to forward a list of prisoners eligible to be pardoned on National Day. Prison inmates other than those convicted for murder, child molestation and 27 other offences are eligible to be pardoned on National Day.
Courtesy: Daily News
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023