Independence Day pardon for 1,270 prisoners
The Prisons Department yesterday released 1,270 prisoners under a special pardon in view of the 65th National Day.
Prisons Commissioner General P W Koddippili said most prisoners released were those languishing in jail for their inability for pay fines and other who had committed minor offences.
The Prisons Commissioner General had requested the heads of prisons islandwide to forward a list of prisoners eligible to be pardoned on National Day. Prison inmates other than those convicted for murder, child molestation and 27 other offences are eligible to be pardoned on National Day.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State commends Sri Lanka’s economic efforts February 23, 2024
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024