India sitar legend Ravi Shankar dies
Indian sitar maestro Ravi Shankar has died in a hospital in the US, aged 92.
Shankar was admitted to the Scripps Memorial Hospital in San Diego last week after complaining of breathing difficulties, reports say.
The legendary musician and his musician daughter Anoushka had been nominated for the 2013 Grammy awards in the world music category.
Shankar, who helped bring Indian music to the world, played at Woodstock and the 1967 Monterey Pop festival.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023