Indian parliamentarians in Sri Lanka
– Submitted by Walter Jayawardhana –
Five parliamentarians from India, who arrived here Monday night, met Speaker of the Sri Lankan Parliament Chamal Rajapaksa and External Affairs Minister of Sri Lanka G.L. Peiris on Tuesday, it is reliably learnt.
However, sources with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) — which organized the trip — refused to divulge details of the agenda or the outcome of the meetings.
After spending the morning at the Parliament, the delegation proceeded to Jaffna to review ongoing projects supported by the Indian government, particularly the housing initiative.
The delegation includes Saugata Roy (Trinamool Congress), Sandeep Dikshit (Congress), Anurag Thakur (BJP), Dhananjay Singh (BSP) and Prakash Javadekar (BJP). However, Madhu Goud Yaskhi (Congress), who was also supposed to come, could not make it. FICCI sources attributed the cancellation of his trip to “party work ahead of Karnataka Assemly elections”.
The delegation is here to participate in ‘Track Two political dialogue’ between parliamentarians of the two countries, an initiative of FICCI.
(Courtesy: The Hindu)
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023