Interim Budget 2022 passed in Parliament
The interim budget presented by President Ranil Wickremesinghe as the Finance Minister was passed in Parliament with amendments by a majority of 115 votes today (September 02).
120 votes were casted in favour, and 5 votes were cast against it. Notably, there were 43 abstentions.
The three MPs from the National People’s Power (NPP) and the two MPs from the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) voted against the Budget Amendment for 2022.
The Samagi Jana Balavegaya, Dullas Alahapperuma faction of the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) and the independent parties led by Wimal Weerawansa abstained from casting their vote.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023