Jansz did not correct her mistake due to threats – Fonseka
Sarath Fonseka stated today (May 25) in courts that Frederica Jansz did not retract the White Flag statement from the article that appeared in the Sunday Leader as the Defence Secretary had threatened to arrest her if she did.
He further stated that following the article’s publication he had immediately requested the newspaper to correct the statement as it was flawed. However, Fonseka stated that upon this request the Sunday Leader Editor Frederica Jansz had made a tearful plea to the former Army Commander explaining that she would be arrested by the order of the Defence Secretary if she did so.
He also denied having any meeting with Jansz, stating that a casual conversation he had with her had been misquoted while also claiming that the notebooks, allegedly belonging to Jansz, which had been submitted to the court as evidence were forged.
Fonseka made this statement in the High Court today when the White Flag case was taken up while the case will be taken up again tomorrow (May 26).
NOTE:- Due to legal contstraints, the Onlanka Editorial team has taken a decision to disable comments on this article concerning ongoing court procedures.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023