Jayalalithaa urges cadre to be calm
Terming human life very precious, AIADMK general secretary and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday said one should not turn emotional and try to snuff it out by attempting suicide.
In a letter to Vijayalakshmi, a party functionary from Salem, who tried to take her own life after an article showing the Chief Minister in a poor light on a Sri Lankan government website on Friday, Ms. Jayalalithaa quoted the Tamil saint-poet Ovvayar and said the human life was precious and rare.
Advising the cadre not to attempt suicide, she said one should understand that suicide was “cowardly,” while living and achieving was the intelligent thing to do.
Meanwhile, the AIADMK’s legal wing, led by MP A. Navaneethakrishnan, staged a demonstration near the Marina beach on Sunday, condemning the “defamatory article” that sought to “trivialise” Ms. Jayalalithaa’s efforts at solving the fishermen issue. Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksha was burnt in effigy.
They also submitted a petition to the DGP, The Hindu reports.
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023