Jayantha Ketagoda delays resignation
In spite of widespread speculation that SLPP National List MP Jayantha Ketagoda was to resign this week to make room for SLPP National Organiser Basil Rajapaksa to enter Parliament, the move has been delayed.
Both Ketagoda and sources close to Rajapaksa were tight-lipped about the reason for the delay.
With the 20th Amendment to the Constitution now operational, Rajapaksa who is a dual citizen will have no obstacle in entering Parliament.
Under the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, dual citizens were barred from being MPs.
(Source: Daily FT)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Deshabandu Tennakoon appointed as Inspector General of Police (IGP) of Sri Lanka February 26, 2024
- United Petroleum enters Sri Lanka’s fuel market, secures supply contract February 26, 2024
- Sri Lankan opposition parties sign no-confidence motion against speaker February 26, 2024
- Public Health Inspector (PHI) shot dead in Elpitiya February 26, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s justice minister assures presidential election scheduled for 2024 February 26, 2024