JO busy selecting a name for new party
The selection of a name for the new party to be formed under the leadership of former president Mahinda Rajapaksa is to be completed by next week sources close to the joint opposition said.
They said that as many as 4,622 names had been suggested by email alone while some 7,000 names had been suggested by post.
The sources said a committee has been tasked to shortlist the names before outlining the new party’s policies.
Three President’s Counsel, two university teachers and another civil society leader have been entrusted with the task of formulating the policies which would be handed over to a panel of JO leaders including Mr. Rajapaksa.
A membership drive is to be launched from November 7 to 15.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Kelum Bandara)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Defence Ministry refutes reports of ‘lavish spending’ for entertaining military heads December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023