Justice Ministry does not interfere in judicial cases – Minister
Unlike during the previous regime, the current Justice Minister does not give phone calls to anyone and the Justice Ministry does not get involved in judicial cases, said Justice Minister Ali Sabry.
He said this in response to a question raised by MP Chaminda Wijesiri during the question round for Oral answers in Parliament yesterday.
Wijesiri asked for the names of the lawyers appearing in the case against the Kurunegala doctor involved in the alleged mass sterilization of women.
“Currently, there are 795,000 cases and the Justice Ministry does not have the ability to provide the names of lawyers who are appearing for these cases. If he requires these names, then he needs to pay and request for a certified copy. As for where he should get advice regarding these cases, that is something he must consult himself.
He should know that as the Justice Minister no responsibility is vested on me. He should also know that the Justice Minister does not give phone calls to anyone and neither have we established special courts for selected cases. As the Justice Ministry, we work within the perimeters of our subject assigned to us. We have no intention of getting involved in cases, we will not interfere in court cases and there is no possibility for us to get involved either. I also strongly believe that this is something that we should not do.”
(Source: Daily News – By Sandasen MARASINGHE, Camelia Nathaniel and Amali Mallawarachchi)
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
Well done, well done,
You are the man of the hour,
Please ditch ‘tie-coat’ and don patriotic clothes,
Please drive 20A through to the New Constitution,
That’s what we need and the rest of the ‘Prosperity and Splendor’ will follow.