Karuna flays scrapping of Lankan anthem in Tamil
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Monday condemned the Sri Lankan government for scrapping the Tamil version of its national anthem.
“If the reports in this regard are true, it is strongly condemnable. This will further dishearten Tamils (in Sri Lanka), who are already suffering. I condemn it,” he said in a statement here.
Sri Lanka had scrapped the Tamil version of its national anthem at official and state functions after the cabinet decided at its last meeting, that the national anthem can only be rendered in the Sinhala language at official functions.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023