Karunanidhi condemns US support to Sri Lankan domestic probe
DMK chief Karunanidhi today condemned the US government’s reported proposal for support to a domestic probe by Sri Lanka into alleged war crimes rather than going in for an international investigation.
Assistant US Secretary of State Nisha Biswal had said in Sri Lanka that her country proposed to sponsor a resolution at the UN Human Rights meet in September supporting the island nation’s initiative for its own probe into alleged war crimes.
The senior US official made the comments during her August 26 visit to Sri Lanka and these were reported in the media.
Referring to the news reports, Karunanidhi said, “I only desire that this news report should not be true…If it happens to be true, I condemn this effort of the US.”
The US move marks a clear shift in its stance towards Sri Lanka as a resolution moved by it had called for an international probe into alleged war crimes.
It was adopted last year in the 47-member UN Human Rights Council.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023