Lalith Weeratunga questioned over RADA
Former Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga is currently giving a statement at the special investigations unit regarding alleged financial fraud at the Reconstruction and Development Agency (RADA), police said.
Last week, police SIU arrested the former Chief Operating Officer (COO) of RADA, Saliya Wickramasuriya, over alleged fraud in tsunami housing funds.
He is charged with cheating Rs 169 million from funds received to build houses for people in the North and East, who lost their homes due to the devastating Boxing Day tsunami in 2004.
He was remanded until until May 19 after being produced before the Colombo Fort Magistrate yesterday.
Wickramasuriya had also served as Chairman of the Board of Investment (BOI) before being appointed as Chief Operating Officer of the Reconstruction and Development Agency (RADA), which was overseeing post tsunami rebuilding work.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023