Lankans gave up joy for Indians: Sri Lanka President
While hailing the Sri Lankan national cricket team, President Mahinda Rajapaksa today said that 20 million people of Sri Lanka took a step back to allow 1.2 billion Indian people to enjoy some happiness, for the second time since 1983.
“I like to tell my Indian friends that 20 million from our small country took a step back to allow 1.2 billion Indian people to enjoy some happiness, for the second time since 1983,” he said adding that “Sri Lankans took the defeat with dignity.”
Rajapaksa, flanked by his wife Shiranthi, presented players with a 5,000 rupee gold coin and a pair of gold cufflinks encrusted with colouful stones, during a ceremony at Temple Trees, AFP reported.
“Whether you won the Cup or not, reaching the final, was a great achievement,” Rajapaksa said referring to Saturday’s six-wicket defeat. “You have done us proud.”
India won their first and only World Cup under Kapil Dev in 1983.
Courtesy: DM Online – Pix by Reuters / Getty Images
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023
- Suminda Sirisena passes away December 4, 2023