LG bodies: Government needs Rs.135 million monthly to upkeep 8689 members
According to local government ministry sources, Rs.135 million needs to be set aside monthly to pay the salaries of 8689 members elected to the local government bodies.
Accordingly, a mayor would receive Rs.30,000 a deputy mayor Rs. 25,000, a chairman Rs. 25,000 a deputy chairman 20,000 while a chairman of a Pradeshiya Sabha would get Rs. 25,000 and a deputy chairman of a Pradeshiya Sabha would be paid Rs. 15,000 as allowances.
In addition to the monthly allowances they are entitled to travelling expenses, telephone allowances, stamp duty and an allowance of Rs. 500 to 1,500 for attending various committee meetings.
In total at the recently concluded Local Government elections 8689 members were elected to 24 municipal councils, 41 urban councils and 276 pradeshiya sabhas. This is nearly double the number of members elected previously which was 4486.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Jayantha Samarakone)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023