LG polls before Sinhala & Tamil New Year – PM
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe says that the government expects to hold the Local Government election before the next Sinhala and Tamil New Year.
However, as there are issues which need fixing when establishing a new electoral system, there is a difficulty is implementing it, he said in Parliament today.
The Prime Minister also spoke about the importance of giving women a rightful place within this political system.
In September, Wickremesinghe had said that there is no reason to postpone the Local Government election which was scheduled to be held in March next year.
However, State Minister of Finance Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena on Wednesday said that it is unlikely the election will be held in March.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023