LG polls before Sinhala & Tamil New Year – PM
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe says that the government expects to hold the Local Government election before the next Sinhala and Tamil New Year.
However, as there are issues which need fixing when establishing a new electoral system, there is a difficulty is implementing it, he said in Parliament today.
The Prime Minister also spoke about the importance of giving women a rightful place within this political system.
In September, Wickremesinghe had said that there is no reason to postpone the Local Government election which was scheduled to be held in March next year.
However, State Minister of Finance Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena on Wednesday said that it is unlikely the election will be held in March.
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023