Lipton Circus closes as protesters near
Lipton Circus closed for traffic as the protest marches organized by University Students and Lecturers are gathering towards Town Hall.
University lecturers on Monday (24) commenced a five-day march from the city of Galle to Colombo, which is currently passing Wellawatta on Galle Road.
The professors and lecturers are demanding a pay raise, greater academic freedom and also 6 percent of the country’s gross domestic product to be allocated for education.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024
- India to push rupee investments in Sri Lanka February 27, 2024