Makandure Madush deported from Dubai
Notorious underworld drug kingpin Makandure Madush who was arrested in Dubai, was deported to Sri Lanka this morning, police spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekera said.
He said, Makandure Madush was taken into the custody of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) upon his arrival at the Bandaranaike International Airport.
Makadure Madush has been accused of committing several murders including the murder of Former Southern Provincial Minister Dani Hitthatiya, drug trafficking as well as Charges of robbery and maintaining close ties with the LTTE.
SP GUnasekera said the 40-year-old Samarasinghe Arachchige Madush Lakshitha alias Makandure Madush was later taken into the CID headquarters for further questioning.
However, the name in his passport appeared as Ajith Aranga Warnakulasuriya. The passport also said he is a resident of Gampaha a resident of Gampaha.
Madush and 30 other Sri Lankans were arrested in Dubai during a joint raid carried out by the law enforcement authorities on February 5 this year.
Along with him, 31 Sri Lankans including underworld figures and celebrities such as singer Amal Perera and his son, actor Ryan Van Rooyen were also arrested in Dubai.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023