Make further progress on good governance – UN Chief encourages new Govt
Applauding the people of Sri Lanka for their peaceful and broad-based participation in the parliamentary elections, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has encouraged the new Government to make further progress on good governance, accountability and reconciliation.
“The Secretary-General applauds the people of Sri Lanka for their peaceful and broad-based participation in the parliamentary elections of 17 August,” said a statement issued by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson.
The UN chief in his statement also commended the President for having shepherded an inclusive process and the Election Commissioner for his exemplary efforts in helping guarantee the exercise of the right to vote of the people of Sri Lanka.
“The Secretary-General encourages the new Government to make further progress on good governance, accountability and reconciliation,” the statement continues, adding that Mr. Ban looks forward to continuing to work with the President, the Prime Minister, the Government and the people of Sri Lanka in support of building long-term peace and prosperity.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023