Will assume duties as opposition MP: Mahinda Rajapaksa
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa has confirmed that he would assume duties as an Opposition MP in parliament while stating that he accepts the results of the parliamentary elections with humility.
The former President who contested at the parliamentary elections as a UPFA candidate from the Kurunegala district, released a media release a short while ago in which he made these remarks.
“I thank the voters who placed their confidence in our party despite the unprecedented obstacles that we had to face. I will continue to engage in politics in keeping with the people’s mandate and I will function within parliament to safeguard the nation and the democratic system,” he said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023