Malinga pulls out of Middlesex
Sri Lanka fast bowler Lasith Malinga has decided against playing for Middlesex in English county cricket’s Twenty20 competition, the county’s managing director Angus Fraser announced.
The 28-year-old paceman, whose unusual ‘slingshot’ action makes him difficult to face, has been told to rest after completing his Indian Premier League duties with the Mumbai Indians.
Malinga, who retired from Test cricket last year, complained of soreness to his knee and back after the IPL campaign. “Naturally, we are extremely disappointed that Lasith will not be playing for Middlesex CCC in this summer’s t20,” said Fraser.
“Everyone at the club was looking forward to working with and watching Lasith play for The Panthers. His presence would have added a healthy dose of star dust to proceedings.
“I totally understand Lasith’s concerns – his workload has been and is high – but I am disappointed we are the side to be denied of his services.
“A lot of work goes in to securing these deals and getting ‘No Objection Certificates’ from the relevant governing bodies.
“But we are not the only county to suffer in this way and over the coming days we will do all we can to secure the services of another high quality international cricketer for our T20 campaign,” added the former England pace bowler and cricket correspondent.
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
Good decision Malinga! Money is there in IPL and you do need to go to UK. Your health is more important and hope you will excel in the coming Pak SL series.
Well done Malinga, great decision, you proved to be a true Sri lankan that cannot be deceived by money.