‘Sri Lanka, a country where all could live in harmony’
President Mahinda Rajapaksa arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok for a fourday visit to Thailand yesterday. Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand, Yongyoot Wichaidit welcomed President at the Airport.
Sri Lanka has become a country where all communities could live together in harmony and has entered the development path after ending a 30 year war, said President Mahinda Rajapaksa at a meeting with Sri Lankans residing in Thailand at St Regis Hotel in Bangkok.
The President urged them to capitalize on the economic opportunities available in the country as Sri Lanka has relaxed rules and regulations that hampered investment opportunities.
President Rajapaksa also pointed out that the country’s economic growth rate has risen to 8 percent during the last two years and a 22 percent growth was recorded in the Northern region of the country as a result of the development projects currently underway in Sri Lanka.
“Though the truth is such, some websites engage in propagating false news on Sri Lanka thereby tarnishing the image of the country,” he further explained.
Sri Lankans, wherever they are in the world, should work with a sound and proper understanding of this prevailing situation, he stressed. “All Sri Lankans despite their ethnicities should love the country. The government’s sole purpose is to create a country which the next generation could be proud of, “the President said. Minister Wimal Weerawansa, MP Sajin Vaas Gunawardana, Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga and Sri Lankan Ambassador to Thailand General Shantha Kottegoda were also present.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023