Matthew wins gold and sets new record; Machiko grabs silver
Sri Lanka’s Matthew Abeysinghe won a second gold medal at the 2016 South Asian Games in the men’s 100m butterfly swimming event.
He also won a Gold medal in the men’s 200m freestyle swimming event and managed to set a new South Asian record.
It is Sri Lanka’s first gold medal at the 12th South Asian Games which is being held simultaneously in Guwahati and Shillong in India from February 6 to 16, 2016.
Abeysinghe was clocked at 1:52.28 which is a new South Asian record.
Meanwhile Machiko Raheem of Sri Lanka won the Silver medal in the women’s 200m freestyle swimming event. She finished with a time of 2:09.02.
Earlier today, Dinusha Hansani won the Silver medal for women’s weightlifting in the 48kg category at SAG 2016.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023