May Day Message of the Prime Minister
We must line-up to build our country, through a sustainable development process and to make the lives of our people prosperous. Workers are the pioneers of that process. We all are well aware of the truth that, their labour is decisive in making the future of a country, said Prime Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe issuing the May Day message.
The Prime Minister’s May Day Message: “Today, we celebrate the International Workers’ Day. The day of the courageous people who ensure the existence of the world through their labour.
“A political environment where we have freedom, has been established at the end of a massive social struggle against a dictator who curb the rights of the workers. It is obvious that, today, Sri Lankan labour heroes celebrate the International Workers’ Day together with world’s labour community while enjoying the so called freedom. Let us be united and work together to make that freedom meaningful, which we obtained through many hardships and sacrificing our lives.
“We must line-up to build our country, through a sustainable development process and to make the lives of our people prosperous. Workers are the pioneers of that process. We all are well aware of the truth that, their labour is decisive in making the future of a country.
“Improve their living condition by ensuring the labour rights and giving proper respect to their labour, is the anticipation of the present Government.
“May the new political culture strengthen you to win your struggle of labour and contribute to the country’s progress!”
(Government News Portal)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
Our Hon. PM’s May DAY Message as compared to that of Hon. President’s message smacks of vituperative politics. Dressed in his Saville Row dress he keeps aloof himself off the working class. Never in his message he refers to solidarity with the working class. His reference to ‘enjoying a so called freedom ‘ is not clear. Does he mean that the present day freedom is a farce? His occasional jabs at his political opponents in a national message will not generate the humour he seeks. HIS DIPLOMACY SEEMS TO BE AT A VERY JUNIOR LEVEL.