Meethotamulla protest organizers arrested
Posted in Local News
Two persons from the Movement against the Meethotamulla Garbage Dump were arrested this morning for contempt of court, Police said.
Organizer of the Movement, Nuwan Bopage and Convener, Keerthirathne Perera were arrested for staging a protest campaign and disregarding a court order against holding protests in the area.
Police said Perera was arrested was last night while Bopage surrendered to the police early this morning.
The Kolonnawa Mayor and several others were arrested for attacking the said protest last month. Police said complaints had been lodged by both parties against each other.
(Source: Daily Mirror)
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
- Bruno Divakara arrested May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023