Meethotamulla protest organizers arrested
Two persons from the Movement against the Meethotamulla Garbage Dump were arrested this morning for contempt of court, Police said.
Organizer of the Movement, Nuwan Bopage and Convener, Keerthirathne Perera were arrested for staging a protest campaign and disregarding a court order against holding protests in the area.
Police said Perera was arrested was last night while Bopage surrendered to the police early this morning.
The Kolonnawa Mayor and several others were arrested for attacking the said protest last month. Police said complaints had been lodged by both parties against each other.
(Source: Daily Mirror)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023