Minister supports decision
Colombo: Sri Lanka sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage has defended the decision to send Angelo Mathews and Co. for the unscheduled tour to India.
“Some say we were attracted to the $6-7 million that we would be making. It was not the reason,” Aluthgamage told reporters. “It was a decision by the SLC and the selection committee. They wanted to give fringe players more opportunity.”
Aluthgamage said the Indian tour was looked at as part of Sri Lanka’s preparations for the World Cup. Asked to comment on the justification behind the decision after three straight losses in the five-match series, Aluthgamage said: “Although we have lost all three matches so far, we might beat India in the World Cup.”
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
First of all this tour shouldn’t have taken place. Kumar Sangakkara’s Tweet at the very beginning revealed it. India really needed a moral booster and to become the highest ranked in ODT ratings. They got them at the expense of ill prepared SL team. Come on Minister, beating India in World Cup with ‘this team’ should be perceived as a dream at this juncture.
how much did BCCI bribe the lankan criucket board for this tour. It is like lamb to the slaughter so than Indians can gloat over it.
I’d like to know what developments has been taken place and done by the sport minister. We have seen very low level sport representations in any sort of games.
I hope the same would not happens to cricket if things are moving like this.