Monday Sep. 3rd – Day of National Mourning
The Government has declared Monday September 3 as a day of national mourning to mark respect for the death of Most Venerable late Weweldeniye Medhalankara Thero, the Chief Prelate of the Ramannya Nikaya.
The Mahanayake Thero was 103 years old at the time of his death.
Secretary to the Ministry of Public Administration P.B. Abeykoon has announced that Monday has been declared as a national mourning day as the final rites of the Chief Prelate will take place on that day.
Accordingly, all liquor shops and bars will be closed on Monday.
The funeral will be conducted with full state honors at the D.S. Senanayake national school ground of Meerigama in Gampaha district.
Source: Government News Portal
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023