Moratuwa Mayor Samanlal Fernando arrested
Moratuwa Mayor Samanlal Fernando has been arrested by Mount Lavinia Police today (28) for obstructing the duties of state officers.
Arrest was made after he surrendered to the Mount Lavinia Police station a short while ago.
The Police Spokesperson DIG Ajith Rohana said that a complaint was made against the Mayor of Moratuwa in respect of obstructing the duties of state officers and violating quarantine regulations at the vaccination program in the Moratumulla Police area.
The MOH of the area had provided a statement to police over the incident.
“Samanlal Fernando will be produced in court in terms of the provisions of the Penal Code and the Quarantine and Prevention of Diseases Ordinance,” said the Police Spokesperson.
UPDATE – 01:55 PM : Moratuwa Mayor Samanlal Fernando, who was arrested for unruly behaviour during a COVID-19 vaccination programme at Moratumulla, has been remanded until June 11.
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
This is shocking.
Moratuwa Mayor Samanlal Fernando is an ardent Pohottu Supporter.
Please, please release him. he did no crime; he is a formidable leader.
We don’t want him to join Kiriella’s party.
I do not understand the mentality of the previous commentator G.Fernando. Politicians are the bane of Sri Lankan society ! GF thinks he is some supernatural god. The mayor is obviously guilty of interfering with the work of the public health officers – if he does not realise that, he is better joining the almost defunct Kiriella’s party !!