Muslim boy ordained at Dimbulagala
For the first time in the history of the Dimbulagala Forest Monastery, a seven-year-old Muslim boy has been ordained, said Chief Incumbent Millane Siriyalankara Thera.
The Thera said the mother of the boy was abroad and his father Hameed Ismail had brought him to the monastery.
He had been ordained as Rathnapure Siri Sudarshanalankara and resides in the forest monastery along with many Sinhala, Tamil and Veddah children who had entered into Buddha Sasana.
“This is the best precedent for religious harmony and national unity. The Dimbulagala Forest Monastery is the only temple where monks of different ethnicities reside, setting an example not only to all Sri Lankans but also to the entire world,” the Thera said.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Nimal Jayaratne)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023