Navy releases 94 Indian fishermen
Navy has handed over 94 Tamil Nadu fishermen taken into custody by them to the Indian Coast Guard at the International Maritime Boundary Line.
Zee news reported that the fishermen, belonging to Ramanathapuram, Nagapattinam and Pudukottai districts, were taken into custody by the navy last month on charges of violating IMBL.
Sri Lanka has released 225 Indian fishermen since the Narendra Modi government took over in May this year. The 94 fishermen were the fresh batch released by the island nation.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had last month wrote to Prime Minister Modi urging him to take immediate steps to get the 94 fishermen released along with 62 boats that were confiscated by the Lankan navy.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023