Navy to look into Yoshitha after financial probe is over
Lieutenant Yoshitha Rajapaksa was under investigation for financial crimes and therefore other allegations allegedly done as a Naval Officer would be investigated by the Sri Lanka Navy, after the conclusion of the civil case on financial crimes, Navy Spokesman Captain Alevi Akram said.
Captain Akram responding to a question raised by a journalist as to why the Sri Lanka Navy treats Lt. Rajapaksa and Lt. Commander K.C Welagedara differently, he said there was no discrimination whatsoever and added that Sri Lanka Navy was awaiting the ruling from President Maithripala Sirisena as the Commander in Chief on the appeal made to him by Lt. Commander Welagedara against his punishment.
He said comparatively, the offence committed by Lt. Commander Welagedara being an officer of a higher rank was serious than the offences committed by Lt. Rajapaksa, of a lower rank and that was why a Court Martial was held against Lt. Commander Welagedara.
He was demoted four ranks, which was a minor punishment, considering the magnitude of his offence, Captain Akram said.
“However, a final decision will be taken on him on the directive of President Sirisena as he has made an appeal to him on the punishments meted out to him by the Navy,” he added.
Captain Akram said Lt. Commander Welagedara, while serving as the Chief Commanding Officer of the Naval and Maritime Academy in Trincomalee that trains 300 Naval Officers and 1,500 Navy men, had left his service station without prior approval of a higher authority.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Sandun A Jayasekera)
- Sri Lanka-born woman in UK becomes youngest ever non-white Crown Court judge June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
N**al pumped billions into listed companies…, Yoshitha under investigation for financial crimes, whats all these nonsense, been hearing this over and over again. Nothing has been proved. Where did Mahendran pump his billions?
he should be strictly dealt with no a disgrace to his college.