New Lanka Freedom Party launched
Former United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) Parliamentarian Kumara Welgama launched the New Lanka Freedom Party (NLFP) yesterday (6).
Welgama claimed that he had to leave the SLFP, the main constituent Party of the UPFA, because Party policies were betrayed after 2015.
“This Party is formed to protect the betrayed policies of the SLFP. Former President and incumbent SLFP Patron Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga conveyed her blessings to this Party. This Party, which is built to protect the policies of the SLFP, is an honour to our leader Sirimavo Bandaranaike,” claimed Welgama.
He added, the NLFP has submitted documents for registration and hopes that their request would be approved before nomination period.
Welgama further claimed, he cannot join the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP), because the latter has no respect for the SLFP.
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Nabiya Vaffoor)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023