Next Election under a New Electoral System
Speaking at the Cabinet media briefing today, Cabinet Media Spokesperson Minister Rajitha Senaratne elaborated on a new electoral system. The Minister added that a decision was arrived at following discussions between the President, Attorney General, Elections Commissioner and relevant factions, to introduce a new electoral system.
The president had noted that the next election will be held under the new electoral system, Minister added.He pointed out that the people have given a mandate to the new government to change the shortcomings in the constitution and introduce progressive reforms.
Therefore, the public wants to see elections being held under a new electoral system. If the current 100 days is not enough to make the proposed reforms, the Government will take more time. The issue is not with the time, but the promised change has to be done as soon as possible, Minister added.
He further stressed that the pledges given in the 100-day programme too has to be fulfilled before going for a General Election.
(Government News Portal)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Deshabandu Tennakoon appointed as Inspector General of Police (IGP) of Sri Lanka February 26, 2024
- United Petroleum enters Sri Lanka’s fuel market, secures supply contract February 26, 2024
- Sri Lankan opposition parties sign no-confidence motion against speaker February 26, 2024
- Public Health Inspector (PHI) shot dead in Elpitiya February 26, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s justice minister assures presidential election scheduled for 2024 February 26, 2024