NFF to contest LG polls from a new front
The National Freedom Front (NFF) headed by MP Wimal Weerawansa will be contesting the upcoming local government elections from a newly formed political front.
Speaking at a media briefing, its leader Wimal Weerawansa said winning the LG polls would be their first step towards their goal of ‘toppling the government.’
He said the country was moving towards anarchy due to the manner in which the government was behaving.
“We can observe that the Maithri-Ranil coalition is dragging our country along an uncertain track where peace and its unitary status are not protected. This was made clear by the speech delivered by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe during the Thai-Pongal National Ceremony held in Jaffna, in the presence of former president Chandrika Kumaratunga. He had said that he would work to abolish the Prevention of Terrorism Act in the coming months. This can be a huge threat to national security,” he said.
Mr. Weerawansa alleged that the prime minister’s move to abolish the PTA (Prevention of Terrorism Act) was a result of a promise made by the government to the Human Rights Commissioner in Geneva, adding that the country had become a puppet of what he called ‘international influences’.
Meanwhile, he stressed that before bringing in an Act of Parliament to control of the activities of Buddhist monks, the government should seek the approval of the Tri Nikayas’ Sanga Nayaka Theros.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Piyumi Fonseka)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023