Nine arrested from Sri Lanka Mirror
Nine people were arrested and seven computers including a personal lap-top were taken into custody by the CID from the Lanka Mirror office in Etulkotte this evening.
The CID also inspected the residence of the Editor of Lanka X, the official website of the UNP’s communication wing, Ruwan Ferdinandz in Narahenpita.
Four CID officials were present at the residence of the editor. They inspected the lap-tops and took statements from a few individuals present.
UNP MP Mangala Samaraweera speaking to the Daily Mirror said this was an indictment on the free media of the country.
“All they told us was that they had information to believe that there was anti- government materials. Obviously we are an opposition website and there would be definitely anti-government materials.
“The witch-hunt against the free media continues,” he said.
However, the police said only two people were taken into custody from the Sri Lanka Mirror office.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023
- Trains delayed on coastal line due to derailment near Kollupitiya September 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s revenue shortfall concerns IMF team – sources September 27, 2023
- Airman killed, another injured in explosion at Kandakuliya Air Force Training Camp September 26, 2023