No election propaganda activities from today
Election propaganda activities pertaining to the Northern, Central and North Western Provincial Council polls ended from midnight yesterday (18).
Therefore all propaganda activities are prohibited from today until the end of the polling, the Election Secretariat said.
Meanwhile it also said that political campaigning offices have to be removed within today.
Therefore each political party and independent group can have only one party office in a district while one candidate can also have only one office, the secretariat said.
The People’s Action for Free and Fair Elections (PAFFREL) says that if a candidate who violates election laws goes on to win and get elected, even his or her PC membership can be annulled.
Meanwhile Police Spokesman SP Buddhika Siriwardena stated that police officers assigned security duties for the forthcoming election will be deployed to their respective provinces today.
He stated that over 24,500 police personnel are expected to be deployed for election duties.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023