Nomination period ends for Sri Lanka elections
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka – Sri Lanka’s election department says it has completed the nomination period for April’s parliamentary vote. The April 8 poll is crucial for President Mahinda Rajapaksa to further tighten his grip on power by securing a majority in the 225-member legislature. Rajapaksa was re-elected to office in January.
The parliamentary vote is expected to be a contest between Rajapaksa’s alliance and two opposition coalitions, one of which is led by former army commander Sarath Fonseka who is in detention on allegations of sedition.
An election official says his department is still perusing nomination papers before releasing the number of contestants.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023