Not enough evidence to file charges against Ranawaka – Court
The Colombo Traffic Court today ruled that there is insufficient evidence to file charges against Minister Patali Ranawaka in connection with a road accident that left two youths injured in Rajagiriya in February.
The decision was announced when the case was taken up for hearing before Colombo Additional Magistrate Chandana Kalansuriya this afternoon, Ada Derana reporter said.
The Welikada Police earlier informed court that the Minister of Megapolis and Western Development was questioned regarding the incident and that a statement was recorded. Police further said that although footage obtained from CCTV cameras were used in the investigation, the footage from the day of the incident had already erased.
A motion of no-confidence was also handed over against Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka by the Joint Opposition over the incident.
However, the Minister earlier said he is of the view that the police would conduct an unbiased investigation in connection with the accident.
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka to process online applications for passports from June 15 June 7, 2023
- Sooriyawewa Pradeshiya Sabha secretary arrested for soliciting Rs.50,000 bribe June 7, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya and Bruno Divakara further remanded June 7, 2023
- MP Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam arrested in Colombo June 7, 2023
- Yohani de Silva gets ‘Golden Visa’ from Dubai June 7, 2023
Evidence may have been destroyed or withheld.
Why the footage of the CCTV ca,era footage was erased? Is this a decelerate act? May be an act of god!
What do you expect from law less country.
Do the words “insufficient evidence” mean that there is evidence against the Hon Minister but the available evidence is insufficient?
Well, if the available evidence is insufficient, why is the Police not pursuing more evidence?
Hon Patali Champika Ranawaka is a rising star; he is Presidential material.
He has radically changed to be a balanced personality since Jan 08, 2015.
I suggest that he reaches out to the minority communities in the next stage of his political evolution; that will provider a broader base for future support.
Hon Ranawaka is a capable politician, an excellent Minister and his anti-corruption stand is admirable.
I wish him well.