Operation to rescue 14 pilot whales in Kalpitiya Sri Lanka
A group of 14 pilot whales were found washed ashore on the Kudawa beach in Kandakuliya near Kalpitiya early morning, today (February 11).
A joint operation was launched by the Sri Lanka Navy, Police and the Wildlife Department, together with area residents, to get the whales back into the sea.
However, three of the whales have died, confirmed Sri Lanka Police.
Efforts to rescue the remaining 11 were underway, led by Sri Lanka Navy, Police, and Wildlife officers.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023