Parliamentary majority still with me – Ranil Wickremesinghe
Ranil Wickremesinghe says that says that the Parliamentary majority is still with him and that requested that Parliament be convened immediately as it is not necessary to create a crisis and for the people to suffer.
“I urge to convene Parliament without leading the country into chaos. It is not necessary to create crisis in the country. Let the Parliament decide whether who should be the Prime Minister,” he said.
“As the largest party in parliament, I have become the Prime Minister.”
“The UPFA I saw has given notice that they were leaving the alliance, but that’s a matter now for parliament to decide the scope or the status of a national government which is established by parliament resolution,” he said.
He said this at a news conference held at temple Trees attended by constituent parties of the United National Front including Jathika Hela Urumaya (JHU), Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) and the Tamil Progressive Alliance (TPA).
Jathika Hela Urumaya (JHU) General Secretary Patali Champika Ranawaka said the United National Front (UNF) could form a government without the support of the United Peoples’ Freedom Alliance (UPFA).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023