Court dismisses petition on President’s mental health
A writ Petition filed calling for a medical report on President’s mental status was dismissed by Court of Appeal today stating that the CA has no authority to hear the case.
The said petition was filed by an individual named Thakshila Lakmali Jayawardhena. The court also ordered the petitioner to pay legal costs of Rs.100,000 to the respondents.
Ms. Jayawardena filed the writ petition seeking the CA to issue a mandate in the nature of a writ of Mandamus against Fort Police Head Quarters OIC and the IGP directing them to institute judicial proceedings in District Courts by virtue of section II of the Mental Diseases Ordinance for the purpose of inquiring state of mind of President Sirisena.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023