Police probe Lankans promoting ISIS ideology via WhatsApp
Police have commenced a special investigation into a Sri Lankan WhatsApp group suspected to be connected to Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), operating in the country.
The investigation commenced after the sleuths of the Western Province Intelligence Division had verified a tip-off that they had received that hundreds of Lankans were operating a WhatsApp group called ‘Interschool’ to promote ISIS ideology.
Police sources said that the Senior DIG in charge of Western Province and all senior officers in the division had been asked to commence a probe.
Police Spokesman SSP Nihal Thalduwa said that police were monitoring all suspicious groups on social media which could be a threat to national security.
(Source: The Island – By Norman Palihawadane)
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023