Police recover stolen ancient Buddha statue
An ancient Buddha statue that had been stolen from the Bibile Rajamaha Viharaya and concealed in a muddy area near a canal in Uduwela, had been unearthed by a special police team.
Police said the statue was found near the residence of a relative of the main suspect who had allegedly committed the robbery.
Police have arrested three men over the theft of the statue, including the main suspect and a man who had allegedly helped in transporting the same.
Police are on the lookout for four additional suspects including an Army deserter, said to be involved in the robbery. Police said a portion of the right arm of the statue had been removed and was found in Wadduwa on Friday.
A suspect had allegedly handed the part to a resident in Wadduwa in order to identify whether the statue is gold. Investigations are continuing.
(Courtesy: Ceylon Today)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023
- Suminda Sirisena passes away December 4, 2023