Police Sergeant dies in Jaffna shooting
A Police Sergeant attached to the security detail of Jaffna High Court Judge M. Ilanchezhiyan, who was undergoing treatment at the Jaffna General Hospital for gunshot injuries in yesterday’s shootout at Nallur, died early this morning, the Police said.
They said another Policeman was also injured in the shooting.
Two gunmen, who came on a motorcycle, had grabbed a pistol of one of the two Policemen, who were providing security to the judge’s vehicle, and fired at the Policeman and the Jaffna High Court Judge M. Ilanchezhiyan, who is a member of the trial-at-bar that is hearing the rape and murder of Vidya in Jaffna.
However, the judge escaped unhurt as the Policemen prevented the judge from getting off the vehicle.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023